Jussie Smollett was indicted today by a special prosecutor in the case that the former 'Empire' star probably thought was behind him
The move by special prosecutor Dan Webb will find Smollett back in court in the Windy City on February 24 to face the new criminal charges and potential jail time over the widely covered January 29, 2019 incident. With time behind bars again a real possibility, Smollett was indicted on six counts of disorderly conduct over falsely reporting the assault by a Cook County grand jury.
“Further prosecution of Jussie Smollett is in the interest of justice,” proclaimed former U.S. Attorney Webb in a statement on Tuesday as news of the indictment leaked out of the County Clerk’s offices.Representatives for Smollett did not reply to request for comment from Deadline on the indictment. Initially treated as a potential hate crime by Chicago Police Department and garnering sympathy from a varied lot of Donald Trump, thecast and creators Lee Daniels and Danny Strong, and many more, the tide turned against Smollett as “persons of interest” the Osundairo brothers claimed that it was in fact the actor himself who the mastermind of the attack.
Last spring, criminal charges were laid against Smollett, who has always maintained his innocence. If Smollett had been convicted on all 16 counts, he could have faced nearly 50 years in state prison.
With the controversy surrounding the attack and the aftermath, Smollett was booted out from shooting the final episodes of Season 5 of Empire last year. The return of the Fox hip hop drama for its sixth and final season last fall saw Smollett seemingly permanently written out of the show, despite repeated pleas for his re-instatement by Terrence Howard, Taraji P. Henson and other leading cast members.
Indonesia Berita Terbaru, Indonesia Berita utama
Similar News:Anda juga dapat membaca berita serupa dengan ini yang kami kumpulkan dari sumber berita lain.
'Empire' actor Jussie Smollett indicted by special prosecutor in ChicagoJUST IN: Former 'Empire' actor Jussie Smollett has been indicted by a special prosecutor in Chicago investigating allegations he bogusly reported being the victim of a January 2019 hate-crime attack, a source close to Smollett told ABC news.
Baca lebih lajut »
Jussie Smollett Indicted by Special Prosecutor for Alleged AttackJussie Smollett was just indicted by a special prosecutor in Chicago.
Baca lebih lajut »
Reports: Actor Jussie Smollett faces new chargesCHICAGO (AP) — Actor Jussie Smollett faces new charges for reporting an attack that Chicago authorities contend was staged to garner publicity, according to media reports Tuesday. The...
Baca lebih lajut »
Jussie Smollett Indicted by Special Prosecutor for Alleged AttackJussie Smollett was just indicted by a special prosecutor in Chicago.
Baca lebih lajut »
'Empire' actor Jussie Smollett indicted by special prosecutor in ChicagoJUST IN: Former 'Empire' actor Jussie Smollett has been indicted by a special prosecutor in Chicago investigating allegations he bogusly reported being the victim of a January 2019 hate-crime attack, a source close to Smollett told ABC news.
Baca lebih lajut »
Prosecutors seek 7 to 9 years in prison for Trump ally Roger StoneBREAKING: Prosecutors seek 7 to 9 years in prison for Trump ally Roger Stone after November conviction for making false statements, witness tampering, and obstruction.
Baca lebih lajut »