Iran's Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif says that he was sanctioned by the United States after refusing an invitation to meet President Trump at the White House in July.
Speaking at a press conference on Monday in Tehran, Zarif said that during his visit to the United Nations last month he met with several US senators and congressmen. Zarif said that he was warned that if he had accepted the invitation to the White House, he could have avoided the sanctions against him.The minister said that he would not name the senators or congressmen he met with nor would he detail the contents of their conversations due to his role as a diplomat.
The country's recent seizures of three tankers in the Persian Gulf has marked an escalation in the standoff between the Islamic Republic and Western powers after Trump's decision to withdraw from the Iran nuclear deal last year.In a statement last Wednesday, Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin said Zarif"implements the reckless agenda of Iran's Supreme Leader, and is the regime's primary spokesperson around the world.
Indonesia Berita Terbaru, Indonesia Berita utama
Similar News:Anda juga dapat membaca berita serupa dengan ini yang kami kumpulkan dari sumber berita lain.
Iran calls US sanctions on its foreign minister 'childish'Iran's leadership called U.S. sanctions against its foreign minister 'childish' and pushed back on the Trump administration's assertion that he did not speak for the country's decision makers.
Baca lebih lajut »
Iran seizes another foreign oil tanker in Persian Gulf, state TV reportsThe report comes weeks after the Revolutionary Guard seized a British oil tanker in the Strait of Hormuz, an incident that inflamed tensions amid renewed hostility between Iran and the West.
Baca lebih lajut »
Iran seizes foreign tanker in the Gulf, detains sailors, state TV saysIran accuses the tanker of smuggling fuel to Arab states.
Baca lebih lajut »
Report: Iran seizes tanker carrying 'smuggled fuel'TEHRAN, Iran (AP) — Iran's Revolutionary Guard has seized an oil tanker carrying 700,000 liters of 'smuggled fuel' in the Persian Gulf, Iranian media reported Sunday. State TV and the...
Baca lebih lajut »
Iran Seizes Vessel in Persian Gulf Accused of Smuggling FuelThe Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps has seized a vessel accused of smuggling fuel and detained its crew, Iranian state television said, the latest incident of Tehran interdicting ships in the volatile Persian Gulf.
Baca lebih lajut »