John Dean served under Richard Nixon and helped cover up the Watergate scandal. Barr has issued a memo insisting he approve any investigation into a 2020 candidate.
First reported by, Barr's memo came out on the same day that Trump was acquitted by the Senate in his impeachment trial into claims he had tried to influence Ukraine to investigate his political rival Joe Biden in return for military aid.
Barr said that in future, the DoJ should still respond to any credible threat to a campaign but that it must be pursued"with sensitivity and care to ensure that the department's actions do not unnecessarily advantage or disadvantage any candidate or political party."The attorney general said he must also be notified ahead of investigations into illegal contributions, donations or expenditures by foreign nationals to a presidential or congressional campaign.
"While the department must respond swiftly and decisively when faced with credible threats to our democratic processes, we also must be sensitive to safeguarding the Department's reputation for fairness, neutrality, and nonpartisanship," the memo says.said Barr is the first attorney general to impose these rules although his predecessors have in the past urged the FBI to pursue political investigations sensitively.
Inspector General Michael Horowitz's report said there had been"misconduct" by lower-level FBI officials and criticized a warrant being granted to surveil Trump campaign official. However, it did conclude that the FBI had reason to open the probe into Trump's campaign, over concerns about Russian interference.
Indonesia Berita Terbaru, Indonesia Berita utama
Similar News:Anda juga dapat membaca berita serupa dengan ini yang kami kumpulkan dari sumber berita lain.
Barr says no investigations into 2020 candidates, campaigns without his approvalAG Barr notifies federal agents and lawyers that they cannot open investigations of 2020 presidential candidates, their campaigns, or advisers without his approval.
Baca lebih lajut »
U.S., allies should consider Nokia, Ericsson investments to counter Huawei: BarrU.S. Attorney General William Barr on Thursday stressed the threat posed by Huaw...
Baca lebih lajut »
Ericsson and Nokia climb after Barr suggests U.S. or western stake purchasesShares of both Ericsson and Nokia advanced over 3% on Friday, following the comments by U.S. Attorney General William Barr who said the U.S. and allies...
Baca lebih lajut »
Donald Trump Says The Word “Bulls—” In White House Victory Lap Over Impeachment AcquittalWith broadcast and cable networks carrying his speech live, President Donald Trump referred to the Russia investigation as “bulls—” as he held a victory lap “celebration&82…
Baca lebih lajut »
To counter Huawei threat, U.S. should consider taking 'controlling stake' in Ericsson, Nokia -attorney generalFBI Director Christopher Wray told a conference the bureau currently had about 1,000 open investigations of Chinese technology theft across its 56 regional offices. Wray said China was aggressively exploiting U.S. academic openness to steal technology
Baca lebih lajut »