City Council to hold hearing on surveillance tech purchased with hidden pot of money

Indonesia Berita Berita

City Council to hold hearing on surveillance tech purchased with hidden pot of money
Indonesia Berita Terbaru,Indonesia Berita utama
  • 📰 WBUR
  • ⏱ Reading Time:
  • 57 sec. here
  • 2 min. at publisher
  • 📊 Quality Score:
  • News: 26%
  • Publisher: 63%

NEW: This comes as a result of a WBUR/propublica investigation that found officials and the public were largely kept in the dark when Boston police spent $627,000 on cellphone tracking equipment using a fund often spent at the discretion of police chiefs:

A Boston City Council committee focused on government accountability will hold a hearing to review the Boston police's purchase of controversial spy technology.

Several councilors pushed for the hearing, which is expected to happen within the next several months, following a WBUR and ProPublicathat revealed the surveillance equipment was bought with a hidden pot of money that shielded the purchase from council oversight. "Our hope is that we can use this hearing to ensure that we are putting a spotlight on any hidden pot of money, especially money being used without our consent," Councilor Julia Mejia, who co-sponsored the order calling for the hearing, said at Wednesday's council meeting.

In 2019, Boston police paid $627,000 for cell site simulator equipment and training, according to invoices obtained by WBUR in a public records request. The technology tracks cell phone location and use. Boston police say it's used to locate missing people and in criminal investigations, but critics say the warrantless use of the equipment, also known as a"stingray," threatens constitutional rights.

Several city councilors interviewed said they were not aware Boston police bought this technology until WBUR and ProPublica's

Berita ini telah kami rangkum agar Anda dapat membacanya dengan cepat. Jika Anda tertarik dengan beritanya, Anda dapat membaca teks lengkapnya di sini. Baca lebih lajut:

WBUR /  🏆 274. in US

Indonesia Berita Terbaru, Indonesia Berita utama

Similar News:Anda juga dapat membaca berita serupa dengan ini yang kami kumpulkan dari sumber berita lain.

Boston patient removed from heart transplant list for being unvaccinatedBoston patient removed from heart transplant list for being unvaccinatedA 31-year-old man has been removed from the heart transplant list at a Boston hospital because he is refusing to get the COVID-19 vaccine, his family said.
Baca lebih lajut »

Boston patient removed from heart-transplant list because he’s not vaccinated against COVID: reportBoston patient removed from heart-transplant list because he’s not vaccinated against COVID: reportThe parents of a 31-year-old in need of a heart transplant at Boston's Brigham and Women's Hospital said their son has been removed from the transplant list because he has not been vaccinated for COVID-19, according to a report.
Baca lebih lajut »

Boston man removed from heart transplant list for refusing to get COVID-19 vaccine, family saysBoston man removed from heart transplant list for refusing to get COVID-19 vaccine, family saysA Boston man says his son has been removed from the organ transplant waiting list because he has not been vaccinated against COVID-19.
Baca lebih lajut »

Boston Red Sox hero David Ortiz elected to the baseball Hall of FameBoston Red Sox hero David Ortiz elected to the baseball Hall of FameFormer Boston Red Sox star David Ortiz has been elected to the National Baseball Hall of Fame. Barry Bonds and Roger Clemens missed being elected in their last year of eligibility.
Baca lebih lajut »



Render Time: 2025-04-04 03:08:10