The Bureau of Customs (BOC) on Tuesday said it seized at least P17 million worth of smuggled yellow onions found inside the three containers declared to have clothing and home products from China.
The BOC said the sacks of onions were found in between sacks of used clothings, also known as “ukay-ukay” with an estimated worth of P2 million.
The agency said the shipment was originally declared to contain plastic buckets, ladies’ blouses, ladies’ slippers, dish plates, and cat litter.Customs Commissioner Yogi Filemon Ruiz lamented that many business owners paid the right fees to bring products legally into the country, while groups brought in millions worth of smuggled products without going to proper legal process.
“The bureau has, so far, examined, detained, and seized hundreds of millions worth of shipments that contain agricultural products this month alone. If they think they can use the ukay-ukay to hide the onions, they are mistaken,” Ruiz said in a statement. “We swore to protect the country’s borders from this kind of illegal activities. But much more than that, we are also trying to protect our people, many of whom are deeply affected—and have been crying out—against the prices of the most basic of our food products,” he added.
Ruiz thanked the operation team for their commitment amid the agency’s intensified campaign against the smuggling of agricultural products, particularly onions.
Indonesia Berita Terbaru, Indonesia Berita utama
Similar News:Anda juga dapat membaca berita serupa dengan ini yang kami kumpulkan dari sumber berita lain.
More countries roll out China traveler checks amid Covid surgeBEIJING: Travelers from China now face restrictions when entering more than a dozen countries as concern grows over its surge in Covid-19 cases, with Australia the latest to demand...
Baca lebih lajut »
Hong Kong eyeing Jan 8 to resume cross-border travel with mainland ChinaHONG KONG -- Hong Kong is working to resume quarantine-free travel with mainland China by as early as Jan. 8, Chief Secretary Eric Chan Kwok-ki said in a Facebook post on Sunday. Chan, the
Baca lebih lajut »
Share the data, WHO urges China at Covid surge talksThe talks came after WHO chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus urged Beijing to be more forthcoming on the pandemic situation in the world's most populous country. | via philstarlife
Baca lebih lajut »
Taiwan president offers China help to deal with COVID-19 surgeTaiwan President Tsai Ing-wen on Sunday offered to provide China with "necessary assistance" to help it deal with a surge in COVID-19 cases, but said Chinese military activities near the island were not beneficial to peace and stability.
Baca lebih lajut »
China Dec manufacturing contracts sharply as COVID infections soarChina’s factory activity shrank for the third straight month in December and at the sharpest pace in nearly three years as COVID infections swept through production lines across the country after Beijing’s abrupt reversal of anti-virus measures. | Reuters
Baca lebih lajut »
More countries roll out China traveller checks amid Covid surgeTravellers from China now face restrictions when entering more than a dozen countries as concern grows over its surge in Covid-19 cases, with Australia the latest to demand a negative test before arrival.
Baca lebih lajut »