Backlog in federal safety rules amid US car crash ‘epidemic’

Indonesia Berita Berita

Backlog in federal safety rules amid US car crash ‘epidemic’
Indonesia Berita Terbaru,Indonesia Berita utama
  • 📰 AP
  • ⏱ Reading Time:
  • 60 sec. here
  • 2 min. at publisher
  • 📊 Quality Score:
  • News: 27%
  • Publisher: 51%

As traffic fatalities spike during the pandemic, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration is struggling with a backlog of safety rules. AP found at least 13 overdue safety rules, including a rear seat belt reminder requirement.

partially automated driving system’s failure to stop for parked emergency vehicles.

“You have a Biden administration it seems across the board more interested in acting in a regulatory fashion than the previous administration,” Levine said. “That’s why there’s so much excitement, but also quite frankly frustration that things aren’t moving with a greater sense of urgency.” Last year, over half of all crash fatalities involved unbelted drivers or occupants, the highest level since 2012, according to NHTSA.

Those grim statistics and rising fatalities have spurred states in recent months to seek ways to boost seat belt use, such as with “Click it or Ticket” law enforcement campaigns. In Connecticut, a law signed by Democratic Gov. Ned Lamont took effect this month that requires all rear seat passengers 16 and older to wear a seat belt. Those under 16 already had been required to buckle up.

Various NHTSA delays have led to a patchwork of safety features initiated by the auto industry that have no clear minimum level of standards, said Cathy Chase, president of Advocates for Highway and Auto Safety. Many of the features also are typically sold in high-end cars or luxury packages, in effect imposing an “upcharge” for consumer safety.

Berita ini telah kami rangkum agar Anda dapat membacanya dengan cepat. Jika Anda tertarik dengan beritanya, Anda dapat membaca teks lengkapnya di sini. Baca lebih lajut:

AP /  🏆 728. in US

Indonesia Berita Terbaru, Indonesia Berita utama

Similar News:Anda juga dapat membaca berita serupa dengan ini yang kami kumpulkan dari sumber berita lain.

U.S. appeals court rules to keep Texas abortion ban in effectU.S. appeals court rules to keep Texas abortion ban in effectA U.S. appeals court on Thursday refused a petition by the U.S. Department of Justice to put on hold Texas's restrictive abortion law, which bars the procedure as early as six weeks into pregnancy.
Baca lebih lajut »

The Latest: US to end travel rules for vaccinated on Nov. 8The Latest: US to end travel rules for vaccinated on Nov. 8WASHINGTON — The Biden administration is expected to announce Friday that it will lift travel restrictions on Nov. 8 for fully vaccinated individuals arriving in the U.S. by air travel or by crossing land borders, according to a White House official.
Baca lebih lajut »

U.S. pastors, advocacy groups mobilize against COVID-19 vaccine mandatesU.S. pastors, advocacy groups mobilize against COVID-19 vaccine mandatesFrom the outside, First Harvest Ministries in Waveland, Mississippi, could almost be mistaken for a storage shed were it not for the steeple.
Baca lebih lajut »

US offers to pay to relatives of Afghans killed in botched drone strikeUS offers to pay to relatives of Afghans killed in botched drone strikeThe US government has admitted that 10 civilians, who were killed in the drone attack in Kabul in late August, were innocent victims and were not affiliated with Daesh-K.
Baca lebih lajut »

Opinion | China and the U.S. Sabotage Their Own Tech CompaniesOpinion | China and the U.S. Sabotage Their Own Tech CompaniesFrom WSJopinion: China is investing $1.4 trillion to overtake the West in critical technologies by 2025, writes Robert H. Bork Jr. But the winner may be clear by the time the next U.S. president is sworn in.
Baca lebih lajut »

U.S. offers payments, relocation to family of Afghans killed in botched drone attackU.S. offers payments, relocation to family of Afghans killed in botched drone attackThe Pentagon has offered unspecified condolence payments to the family of 10 civilians who were killed in a botched U.S. drone attack in Afghanistan in August during the final days before American troops withdrew from the country.
Baca lebih lajut »



Render Time: 2025-04-04 06:43:56